OVER 18 YEARS OF AGE
adequate swimming skills
good physical health
Rescue Diver Qualification
takes 2 - 6 months
OVER 18 YEARS OF AGE
GOOD PHYSICAL HEALTH
RESCUE DIVER QUALIFICATION
TAKES 2-6 MONTHS
Let start with an overview of what the course is about:
In the PADI System, PADI Dive masters train to become PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors in the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC), and qualify by successfully completing the PADI Instructor Examination (IE). Beyond the IDC/IE, PADI Instructor development continues through education programs ranging from Specialty Instructor training to IDC Staff Instructor courses.
The instructor development process follows three basic paths, all of which apply the same IDC instructional system and performance requirements.
- PADI Dive masters can complete the entire IDC as a single program.
- Alternatively, PADI Dive masters may take the PADI assistant Instructor (AI) course, which consists of key IDC components, then complete the OWSI (Open Water Scuba Instructor) program, which includes remaining IDC components.
- Finally, an instructor from a diver training organization other than PADI may qualify as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor by completing the OWSI program.
Candidates develop their instructor-level knowledge and skills in the IDC through:
- Independent study
- Live presentations and workshops conducted or supervised by a PADI Course Director and IDC Staff Instructors.
- The IDC emphasizes development, not testing, and so provides a low-stress environment that frees candidates to learn from their errors and concentrate on knowledge and skill development. Candidates continue until they can reliably achieve the minimum performance requirements to progress beyond the IDC.
On completion of the Instructor Development Course, you will attend the PADI Instructor Exam or IE. The Instructor Examination (IE) evaluates candidate teaching ability, dive knowledge, skills level, understanding of the PADI System, attitude, professionalism, and other attributes required of PADI Instructors. IEs are conducted over at least two days by an Instructor Examiner using standardized, objective testing criteria. When these criteria are met, candidates achieve the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor rating.
PADI is the only dive training agency that requires Instructors to pass an objective, independent examination to qualify as a professional instructor. The IE is a balanced and consistent evaluation process to ensure that all Instructor candidates meet the standards required of a PADI Instructor.
This two-phase program:
- the development phase (IDC) conducted by PADI Course Directors and their IDC Staff Instructors.
- And the evaluative phase (IE) conducted by PADI Staff – is the most comprehensive and demanding of any in the dive industry.
New PADI Instructors meet the most extensive requirements for learning and performance of any recreational diver certification organization.
Why choose us?
Pisces Divers is run by a dedicated team of Instructors with who are committed to helping you become the best dive professional that you can be. Our Course Director, Staff instructors are passionate about diving and look forward to making your path towards becoming a PADI Instructor rewarding and enjoyable.
- Pisces Divers is a PADI Career Development Center; We have the professional facilities to make it the perfect place to take your PADI professional level dive courses. Large classrooms, on-site 3m dive training pool, 100m from the beach, lots of parking, large rental gear area with shower, changerooms, free WiFi and coffee/tea at all times.
- We are committed to providing the highest standards of training in a relaxed, informal setting. The dive center itself has been designed for optimal teaching conditions with areas dedicated to classroom sessions, practical training workshops, and on-site training pool and of course space to chill out and relax after a dive!
- Professional PADI programs are conducted with the latest up to date materials, digital products and interactive teaching aids. We are equipped with all the required materials needed for conducting Divemaster training, IDC presentations and workshops.
Some more reasons:
- We run a busy dive charter service which is well supported by local divers and we have a lot of fun.
- We can offer your accommodation in the area at very reasonable rates.
- Our shop stocks a wide range of scuba and freediving equipment with experienced sales advice.
- All air fills and Nitrox fills are included in the price.
- We include additional workshops on crucial skills such as the controlled emergency swimming ascent, how to run a DSD, controlling ascents and descents, Rescue skills and a Search and Recovery workshop.
- Our Course Director’s and IDC Staff Instructors are ever present throughout the IDC and Instructor Examination for support and encouragement.
Prerequisites to enrol in your instructor course:
- Be a certified PADI Divemaster or Assistant Instructor with current membership of PADI, or an equivalent leadership level certification with another training organization.
- Have medical clearance of fitness to dive, signed by a doctor within the past 12 months.
- Hold an EFR certification or other first aid and CPR training current within the last 24 months.
- Obtain Emergency First Response Instructor Rating.
- Have been certified as an Open Water Diver or equivalent for a minimum of 6 months.
- Be at least 18 years old at the start of the course.
- To attend an IE you must also show that you have logged a minimum of 100 dives and have successfully completed an IDC.
How to prepare for your PADI Instructor course at Pisces Divers
We do offer preparation days ahead of the IDC but by preparing yourself thoroughly in advance, you will get more out of your IDC training and avoid feeling overloaded. To prepare independently we recommend that you:
- Purchase all required online PADI materials.
- Review your PADI Instructor Manual and the Guide to Teaching.
- Revise the five dive theory topics, Physics, Physiology, Equipment, Dive Skills and the Environment, Recreational Dive Planner.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the PADI Instructor Manual or update yours with the latest Training Bulletins.
- Review the 24 skills you practiced during your PADI Divemaster course.
- Practice Rescue exercise 7; ‘Unconscious Diver at the Surface’ exercise from your PADI Rescue Diver course.
- Fins, mask, snorkel and appropriate exposure protection
- Cylinder and weight system (supplied by Pisces Divers)
- Regulator with alternate air source and SPG
- Depth gauge
- Timing device
- Compass and knife/diver’s tool
- Emergency signaling devices (SMB, Reel, Whistle)
Please ensure that all your equipment is in excellent working condition prior to the start of the course. We can assist with equipment servicing and rental of any items required for the course.
Other items that will be needed for the IDC:
- 2 ID photographs
- In date diving medical (12 months)
- All non-PADI certification cards or certificates
What will my rating be after completing the IDC & EFRI?
You will have the Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) rating and Emergency First Response Instructor (EFRI).
Which courses can I teach with this rating?
You can teach the following courses as an OWSI:
- PADI Discover Scuba Experience
- PADI Scuba Diver
- PADI Open Water
- PADI Adventure Diver
- PADI Advanced Diver
- Emergency First Response
- PADI Rescue Diver
- PADI Divemaster
- PADI Bubble Maker Experience
- PADI Seal Team
- PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty
- AWARE Coral Reef Conservation
- Project AWARE Specialist
- PADI Skin Diver
- PADI Discover Snorkeling
How do I enrol?
If you are interested and want to enroll, all you need to do is confirm with our booking sheet. We will invoice you for your course material which includes everything you need to start the theory portion of your course.
We will arrange a meeting or zoom orientation meeting where everything will be explained to you in detail. Once on course, you will explore the remaining dive theory with your PADI Instructor. Learning is an ongoing development process so you will learn something new each time you dive with us. Towards the end of the program, there are some comprehensive lectures covering dive theory. We conduct these as live lectures and we also have a series of online videos for you to review.
PADI Assistant Instructor (AI) Course as a stand-alone course R6 000
The PADI Assistant Instructor course takes PADI Divemaster training a step further by teaching certified assistants how to introduce new knowledge and skills independently, or with minimal supervision. The course enhances abilities as an instructional assistant and provides candidates with practical experience in teaching knowledge and skill development portions of various PADI courses. Candidates also learn to conduct open water dives for the courses they can teach, such as the Peak Performance Buoyancy specialty. The course familiarizes candidates with PADI Standards, administrative requirements and certification procedures and prepares them for additional PADI Instructor training.
Becoming a PADI Assistant Instructor is a good option for PADI Divemasters who want to gain additional knowledge and skills before taking an IDC, or who must delay attending a complete IDC. Some assistant instructors may not become instructors for a variety of economical, educational and personal reasons, but still may work as dive professionals and hold key positions within the dive industry. They can provide many instructional and non-instructional services for dive centres and resorts.
Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) + AI R 13 000
The Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) Program allows scuba instructors from other recreational diver training organizations enroll to learn about the PADI System of diver education and prepare to attend an IE (Instructor Exam)
- PADI Assistant Instructors enroll to complete remaining IDC components in preparation for attending a PADI Instructor Examination (IE).
- Scuba instructors from other recreational diver training organizations enroll to learn about the PADI System of diver education and prepare to attend an IE.
- PADI Instructors who want to regain Teaching status due to lapse in membership.
It assumes that certified instructors taking the OWSI program have experience and teaching ability, so the program focus becomes less about developing teaching skill and more about overviewing the PADI System. Candidates will learn about or review PADI’s educational approach, materials and philosophy, then work on adapting their instructional skills to conduct PADI courses. The OWSI program prepares these candidates to effectively function as PADI Instructors, while giving them the background they need to prepare for the IE.
Emergency First Response Instructor Course R 4 500
*Mandatory course to qualify as an Open Water Scuba Instructor.
The Emergency First Response Instructor Course provides qualified individuals with the additional training necessary to teach the Emergency First Response Primary Care (CPR) Secondary Care (First Aid) and Care for Children Courses. This course builds on your skills as primary and secondary care providers and focuses on developing your instructional abilities. The course is presented through classroom sessions and practice teaching assignments where you’ll learn to independently conduct all of the Emergency First Response Programs.
Additional Costs and PADI Fees
IDC Pack (Required for AI/OWSI) R 13 950
EFRI Pack (Required for EFRI) R 2 899
Above is subject to the British Pound Exchange Rate.
IE Instructor Exam ± £ 527
Instructor Registration ± £ 153
EFRI Registration ± £ 95
Above paid to PADI directly.
Please email email@example.com or phone 082 310 6007 for more info or to book for the course.
Welcome to the Start of your Professional Diving Career!
PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer R 5 000
The best way to learn how to make your specialty diver courses really special is to take a Specialty Instructor Course from your local PADI Course Director. They provide teaching tips and hands-on experience that you can implement right away. You’ll learn new techniques to add to the experience you already have in a specialty area and have fun fine-tuning your skills and teaching methods. Plus, you’ll get great ideas for marketing your courses.
Specialty Instructors who have certified at least 25 PADI Divers and have earned at least five PADI Specialty Instructor certifications can then apply to be Master Scuba Diver Trainers. This rating is the next step up the professional ladder and is a prerequisite for IDC Staff Instructor as well as for many TecRec Instructor ratings. Being an MSDT signifies that you’ve got the experience and certifications to offer all the training a diver needs to become a Master Scuba Diver – the ultimate recreational diver rating.
Specialty Application ±£ 35 each
Master Scuba Diver Trainer ±£ 65
Fantastic diving experience! It all started with great communication over email. They were very helpful answering all questions and making sure I had all the information needed. Due to the... read more
November 20, 2019
What a brilliant dive center! I am so impressed by the course, the location, and the people. Throughout the course, the instructors were incredibly calm and patient, allowing me to... read more
June 14, 2019
Pisces divers is an amazing dive school the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. I took the open water 1 dive course and with the help of the diving instructor... read more
November 4, 2019
I experienced friendly, welcoming interactions with all the staff who are extremely accommodating and always willing to help. Very professional and the instructors are absolutely amazing on the dives and... read more
September 11, 2019
One of the highlights of my Western Cape trip in March 2019! It did not lessen the fun and the incredible experience being the only snorkeler in a group of... read more
March 19, 2019
Completed my diving certificates here and it was everything you could want in a dive school. They were friendly, professional, fun, accommodating and reasonably priced. Diving in Cape Town was... read more
March 6, 2019
I would like to say a huge thank you to Pisces Divers for providing a brilliant service. We felt safe and thoroughly enjoyed our diving in Simon's Town. I... read more
September 22, 2019
Really well run operation. In an era of social distancing concerns, I really appreciated the effort of the owner, manager and majority of staff members to wear masks consistently... read more
September 15, 2020
This was the best cold water diving we've ever done, the colors you're going to see are indescribable!! Also if you go with Pisces diving you'll be in excellent hands... read more
September 30, 2019
I was extremely happy with the dive master as well as the service and rates offered by Pisces. They were very friendly and accommodating. We got to dive with... read more
January 16, 2019
PADI OPEN WATER SCUBA INSTRUCTOR
During the IDC, you'll learn to use and adapt the PADI System of diver education to individual student needs. Comprehensive training, supported by a wide variety of PADI educational materials.